Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chicken Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole

I cannot begin to describe how much better I feel today after eating right! I stayed under my calories for the day, and had so much energy. I won't lie, I had a HUGE craving for a chicken strip basket from DQ. Fought that one off and was pretty proud of myself! If you ever want to check out what I'm eating- you can check out my food diary. Just click the green circle at the top right corner of this page with what looks like a leaping girl. (That's actually a picture of what I'll be doing once I lose all this weight!)

Now, some of you may think I'm crazy, but I've never tasted or cooked quinoa before! I bought my first box last week, so I looked up some recipes today. I didn't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes I found, so I decided to create my own. I literally flew by the seat of my pants on this one, and I loved it! 

I will be completely honest with you- this did not pass my husband's approval. I was worried he wouldn't want to try the quinoa, so I lied and told him they were little pasta noodles. Yeah, didn't work. He hated this dish, and has loved all my other casseroles i've made up.  I am secretly glad he didn't like it, though. I now have lunch packed for the rest of the week.. whoop! Try this out and let me know what you think! 



First you will need to cook your quinoa and your chicken if you haven't already done so. (I cooked my quinoa in water but if when I do it again, I would cook it in chicken broth.) Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Bake chicken until cooked through. 


While the quinoa and chicken are cooking, microwave or steam the broccoli until tender cooked. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and keep the broccoli green. 


Then, mix first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl. 


Layer the quinoa 
 
the cubed chicken and broccoli 
and top with the sauce mixture. 

Mix it all together.  

Actually, you could just mix it all together and THEN add it to the baking dish. That would make more sense. :) 

Top with the shredded cheese, and bake at 350º for 20 minutes or so, until the cheese is bubbly. 


Cut into 8 portions, and enjoy! 




Ingredients:
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Oikos {you could also use sour cream, yogurt is just healthier!})
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
1/2 lb Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 head broccoli (about 2 cups)
1 cup dry quinoa 
1 cup shredded cheese 


Directions:
First you will need to cook your quinoa and your chicken. Cook the quinoa in chicken broth for more flavor according to the package directions, and grill or bake chicken until cooked through. While the quinoa and chicken are cooking, microwave or steam the broccoli until tender cooked. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and keep the broccoli green. 

While those are cooking, mix first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, cooked cubed chicken, and broccoli. Mix, and pour into a baking dish.  Top with the shredded cheese, and bake at 350º for 20 minutes or so, until the cheese is bubbly. Cut into 8 portions, and enjoy! 


Nutrition Facts:
     
                                                               Calories           Carbs              Fat            Protein               Sodium          Fiber
Total:166718749127332424
Per Serving:208236164163
post signature