Monday, January 20, 2014

Gluten free mac & cheese and I messed up

Last week I took my mother in law's homemade mac & cheese recipe, and made it gluten free. Now when I say recipe, really I mean she lists some ingredients and tells me she throws it all together for who knows how long. She is an AMAZING cook and is very good at eyeballing. I have become much more comfortable with this in the last couple of years, so I now eyeball in my cooking too. As I was making this however, I tried to measure so I could share with you!

If you are making this gluten free, be very careful not to overcook the noodles. Actually, TRY to undercook them. Boil the noodles just for 1 minute or so, as they continue cooking in the cheese mixture while in the oven.


Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese 

Ingredients:
2 cups gluten free rotini pasta
1/3 block 2% milk Velveeta, cubed
1 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup any other cheese you like, I used shredded cheddar, divided.
1 tsp pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Cook pasta according to directions, but remove before fully cooked. Drain. While pasta is cooking, heat milk with velveeta, parmesean, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.  Stir frequently until cheese is melted. Combine cheese mixture and noodles in a greased baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Remove and enjoy!
I made my cheese mixture in a cast iron skillet, so I could add the noodles and just pop it all into the oven. It was DELICIOUS, although my noodles were overcooked. Do not make my mistake!

Remember when I shared about my horrible gluten free bread experience? Well, I've been coming up with lots of ways to use it up including the Parmesan Baked Chicken Tenders. I was at our local market in town that has LOTS of gluten free goodies. I saw a loaf of Rudi's bread that wasn't frozen. I felt it, and it felt SUPER soft! I thought I would give it another try.

Well, I got home and decided to make a sandwich. I loaded it up with turkey, provolone, and a little mustard. It looked SO good! It was soft, and even looked like wheat bread! I took a small bite, and wow, it tasted just like honey wheat bread. SO good!

Then I looked at the package to see what was different about the two loaves.


Yeah. I messed up.  IT WASN'T GLUTEN FREE! 

After having my husband laugh at me not only for my mistake but also for asking him to take a picture of me with my bread, I felt pretty dumb.

It all turned out okay when I made some pizza from the REAL Gf bread, and stuck the regular loaf into the freezer for my husband to eat later.
Oh..... my life.

Do you "eyeball" recipes, or do you have to measure?
Do you have a funny story of buying the wrong thing at the grocery store? Please tell me I'm not the only one.


post signature