Friday, January 3, 2014

Reader Question

Today I received a comment from Lauren on a post from yesterday. 


AnonymousJanuary 3, 2014 at 1:16 PMHow do you curb your desire for sweets during your 24 day challenge??- Lauren



Good question, Lauren! I will answer this with my thoughts and experience only.... by no means does this mean everyone has the same experience.

My first 1 or two days of the cleanse/challenge are rough, but I'm also excited to start, so it's easier for me to stay away from the sweets. I'm enjoying some new foods, drinking a TON more water, and eating lots of snacks, so it's keeping me full.





By the time the "newness" wears off during my challenge, my cravings are gone. I do not crave sugar, carbs, caffeine, anything.  I actually have to force myself to eat sometimes.. which is a strange feeling for me ( I love food, duh.)

I keep some special items stocked just in case, but since I started this time around I really haven't had problems with sugar cravings. My first 2 challenges, I ate a LOT of sugar free jello. This time around I made some, but never got around to eating it. I didn't need it or want it.


If you are on your challenge and you DO crave something sweet, here are some ideas to keep the cravings at bay:

  • Sugar free instant jello
  • Meal replacement shake (I talked about these HERE. They are delicious! 
  • sugar free hard candies (only one at a time or you might have some.. uh..restroom issues, if you know what I mean)
  • FRUIT! 
  • fruit leather 
  • lemon, cucumber, or other fruit waters (I always put a lemon wedge in my water, but cucumber, mint, etc. is lovely too)
  • Sugar free gum (I love the Extra flavors of desserts)
  • Natural almond butter on a banana or rice cake 
  • Drink a martini 

Lauren, I hope this helps! I'm off now to sit in the hot tub with my kindergarten teacher friends. I've missed not seeing them for two weeks! 

What do you eat when you crave sweets?
Any fun plans this weekend?


post signature