Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How to save money when buying textbooks

Some days I feel super boggled down with grad school work. Usually during one of these times I bring it up to friends or family, and I end up finding out someone else I know is in school too. I find that grad school goes a little under the radar, and I'm always surprised at how many people I know are in school too! 

By far the biggest thing that comes up when talking about school is the incredible cost. Textbooks are always way more expensive than what we think! I wanted to let you all know some tips I have for saving some money on textbooks.

1. Share books with friends.
-pretty much self explanatory, but sometimes people forget that sharing books with other students is super helpful and can save a lot of money. A colleague of mine is in the same program as I am, but we take classes at different times so we can swap books. It has saved a lot of money!

2. Shop around

-If you want to buy your books, check out every option. One site might be cheapest for one book, but may be super expensive for another. Check out all of your options if buying is the way you want to go. 

3. RENT your textbooks

-I think campusbookrentals.com is amazing! 
-save 40-90% off of bookstore prices
-free shipping both ways
-can highlight in the textbooks
-flexible renting periods
-they donate to Operation Smile with each textbook rented
-free returns within 21 days(this one is HUGE! I've bought so many books before that I never ended up using. This way you can begin your course and figure out if you really will use the book or not!) 


4. Make money off your textbooks
-some people keep their textbooks thinking they will use them down the line. I have not used a single book since graduating with my undergrad degree. I learned my lesson and now sell back all my books. 
-RENT your books! I wish this would have been around a long time ago. RentBack is new initiative that allows students to rent the textbooks they own - to other students... which is awesome because it makes them 2-4x more money compared to what you will make through buyback options!



College is SO expensive, and the additional cost of books can put budgets over the edge. I hope this can help someone along the way!
post signature
*This post is sponsored by Campus Book Rentals. As always, all opinions are my own.